Saturday, June 22, 2013

Making Whipped Shea Butter Soap

What better way to dress up a plain looking piece of soap from a silicone cupcake mold than to top it off with some whipped soap.  I really do need to look into making a video instead; between remembering to include all of the ingredients, taking off the gloves to grab a camera and proceeding, all the while fearing the batter would harden on me, resulted with only a few photos to show for.

My recipe is approximately:
44% palm oil in solid form
30% shea butter in solid form
19% coconut oil in solid form
 5% castor oil
 2% olive oil

After dissolving the lye (calculated with 5% superfat) into the water, I left it in the fridge to chill.  Then I proceeded to whip up all of the solid oils together until it resembled whipped cream.


(If I stopped at this point, it could be a fantastic body butter!  Alas, I couldn´t save any aside since I already had the lye measured out for the entire batch of oils.)

Continuing on...
Drizzled in the cold lye solution while slowly whipping.  Once incorporated, I drizzled in the liquid oils.  The batter wasn´t as fluffy but glossier.  It looked good enough to eat because it resembles a lot like cream cheese frosting.  Some cream fragrance oil was added, calculated to about 1/5 ml per cupcake.



I scooped out the batter into a prepared disposable piping bag and piped the cupcake soaps.

(A product side note:  the Rubbermaid Spoontula is a must-have fabulous tool in the kitchen!  I´m using my older one for soaping and I have another one for foods.  Make sure it´s the version with the deep red colored handle.)





I think next time I will use a wider opening tip for piping.  It was difficult towards the end squeezing out the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment