Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yummy Almond Joy Lotion

I wanted to blog on my soaping trials but I have recently deviated to lotions.  Since I have so many soap bars curing, I am taking a break and decided to use the oils on hand for lotions and creams.  I have this jar coconut oil that just smells so delicious that I am always tempted to eat it up; it´s that good.  I wanted a lotion with this aroma so I can enjoy it daily.

 In a double boiler, melt
30 grams emulsifying wax
     (I used cetearyl alcohol / PEG-20 stearate; it is considered safe in food and cosmetics.)
      http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/learning-center/Cetearyl_Alcohol
40 grams of coconut oil
10 grams of sweet almond oil

In a separate pot, heat 1 1/4 cups of distilled water

While these two are heating, measure out in a small mearuring cup the following additives:
5 grams of Vitamin E
3 grams of Germall Plus liquid preservative
     (It´s paraben free but I´ve read both good and not so good things about this
      preservative.  If in doubt, don´t use it.
      If not using it, store your lotion in the fridge and use it up within a few weeks.)
1/2 ml almond flavor oil
     (this was a last minute decision because the coconut smell reminded me of Almond Joy;
      it smells like the almond extract but without the alcohol; found it in the baking section)
10 grams of glycerine

Once the oils/wax are melted and the water slightly boiling, remove both from the heat.  While whisking the oil solution, slowly drizzle in the hot water until all is incorporated.  The mix will turn milky white.


Keep stirring until the mix is below 50ºC.  I set the stirring bowl over another bowl with cold water to help cool it faster.  Add in the additives and continue to stir.


Put it in a clean jar and let it cool before placing the lid on.  It´s fluid enough to put it in a bottle with a pump dispenser.  I have a bottle of this near the kitchen sink.  Don´t throw away those alcohol gel dispenser bottles; there´s no need to clean it because it´s already sanitized.


Next time I´ll consider adding some chocolate aroma to it to complete the candy bar experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment